Here’s a look inside my studio from the side of the room that I haven’t shown before. I did a mini makeover last year with several more DIY projects, which included building a new work table for screen printing.
With all of the focus on doing home improvement projects, I wanted to make an accessory for the finished space, in this case the kitchen. Here’s a look at the process and finished pieces.
They are designed to be functional for everyday use and the linen will get softer with every wash.
Also, a tutorial for this wreath as seen in the photo above will be coming to the blog within the next week.
This board and batten wall works well for hanging fabric to dry too. The tutorial on how I built is here and was recently featured on Apartment Therapy.
Every holiday season I love to make wreathes, each time trying something new. This was my first attempt at making one out of only Eucalyptus.
For the wreath form I used a smaller 10 ” wire frame and 3 bunches of Seeded Eucalyptus from the grocery store.
It took me a few days until I started making the wreath and in that time some of the leaves had started to dry out even though I had kept the stems in water. I started with the dried pieces and made small bundles in the same way that I made the boxwood wreath last year.
These leaves worked the best. When there were so many seeded pieces it was difficult to work with.
Here is the wreath one week later, it dried out within 2 days of making it. Hopefully it will last the whole winter and won’t neede to be constantly cleaned up like cedar.
This post has been getting a lot of traffic which makes me think that people would like to see more examples of Eucalyptus wreathes so I’ve added a new post with others I’ve made.
If you’ve been following along on Instagram or previous blog posts, I’ve been sharing glimpses into my staircase makeover. The wall had been painted for two years, waiting for moulding and thanks to Metrie it has become a reality. There was no major renovation involved. I broke down the steps, starting with painting the walls & staircase spindles, refinishing the banister and finishing with chair rail and panel moulding that starts at the front entry and continues to the upstairs hallway. The painting and refinishing had a lot of impact, but it wasn’t until I added the moulding that the staircase became a strong feature.
This was a big learning curve for me, but it’s not impossible, it just takes patience and attention to detail. It’s amazing to see how much dimension the moulding brings, and it makes this formerly overlooked space seem larger. Immediately after finishing I made a fresh garland to dress up the staircase since it’s now a main focal point and I was feeling the holiday spirit.
This is the view from the main floor.
That’s the kitchen off to the right.The view from the kitchen.The moulding continuing through the front hallway.
This is a reminder of what it looked like when we first moved in and what I did to get here.
With this project now completed I definitely have my eye on some other plain walls in the house that could benefit from some architectural elements. Are you thinking about adding some moulding to your home? If so, I have shared my process with lots of photos in the blog posts below.
Are you planning to make your own fresh wreaths this holiday season? It’s not too complicated and right now all of the boughs are readily available at grocery stores or maybe in your own yard. Last year I shared how I made a boxwood wreath and this year I’m sharing an improved version.
Once you have the basics then all you need to add (or clip from your yard) is the fresh greenery.
Wreath Form ( Wire or Grapevine)
Pruning Shears or Sharp Scissors
Fresh Greenery (2 Bunches for a Fuller Wreath)
To achieve a full and even wreath the key is to make small bundles of greenery that are roughly the same size. Rather than trying to use one large branch, cut it into smaller pieces, hold that bundle and secure it to the frame. Continue layering the bundles and securing them with the paddle wire.
Also using more greenery helps too. I used two large bunches of boxwood for this wreath compared to last year when I only used one. Last year I wrapped wire around each bundle that I added to the frame but this year I skipped that step and only did one continuous length of wire for the whole wreath.
These are the basics but berries and a mixture of greens could be added too.